Sunday 20 September 2009

working with the king (of fruit)

We have an abundance of durian. Last year I dried the pieces, but they were a bit strong for my mixes and truth to tell I hoarded them eating them myself until I couldn't eat any more. This year with more durian my situation is different and I have tried something a little more interesting. I know durian candy is made in south east Asia and I've seen a loose recipe or two for durian jam. I've made something somewhat in between: durian chews.

(For those of you unfamiliar with durian I have an earlier post, Durians are here.)

It's a fairly basic recipe. Take some durian:

open, and remove the flesh and seeds:

take the shells to the compost:

separate the flesh from the seeds, keep the seeds for planting. Remember the seeds must not dry out!!

Put the flesh in a pot, add a little bit of raw sugar and cook down til thick and a dark green/yellow:

Then my camera broke. But spread it on a sheet, about 1/2 inch thick and dry for about 24 hours, turning every few hours. Cut and store between wax paper in a sealed airtight container.

A lovely, chewy, sweet, not so sticky, not so smelly way to enjoy durian. Long live the King!

1 comment:

  1. i have always wanted to try durian. i see them in the market but never knew what to do with one. maybe i will buy one now! thank you for the teddy wishes. this is going to be a long haul. i just can't believe this happened in the hospital and they won't acknowledge it.....grrrrrrrr!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for sharing!